Monday 26 March 2012

These People Need Applauding!

Look, let's face it, everyone is knocking themselves out these days and growing their own food; well it's one thing to have a quiet vege patch at home and another thing to engage others in a larger project in a workplace. At the daily grind, we initially had the good people at Growing Communities in to show us how to do a 'user-friendly no-dig' garden, a.k.a. lasagne style: work smart - not hard people. I love the concept, it's about layering with recyled paper and mulching and placing little pods of dirt down and putting seedlings in. You could go crazy with it, and turn your whole yard into a 'layered lasagne garden' for next to no real effort!

Well, today was the day that the community garden at my workplace got a major over-haul. I have to admit for a while it wasn't on my 'to-do' list, despite being the bod chiefly responsible for getting the garden going in the first place.

With the help of five wonderful volunteers, we got stuck into mulching and pruning. We went flat strap for two hours. The garden's now ready to go for new plantings of tomatoes, herbs and a passionfruit vine. Later I'll include a few photos of the project in its various guises. For now, you'll just have to put up with me showing off a pale pink rose bloom I grew, I've had floating around in a glass compote bowl.

Thank you, I couldn't have done it without you people, and I look forward to starting my day with others, with a little time in the 'patch', pruning, watering and harvesting some time soon! This working bee has made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment