Friday 29 June 2012

The Camellia Society

Today, I went to coffee and came back with my new muse, a present from a friend.
A favourite, of course, of Chanel's.
She apparently said, she ate them for breakfast.
I am nothing, if not predictable.

I stopped in at the best place in Brisbane to buy remnants of
cotton mesh, silk organzas and a Marc Jacob velvet spot.
The Fabric Store.
Also, got the most crisp, cream-coloured taffeta.

Here's a pink camellia from days gone by.
And, another. Tea stained and nostalgic.
Gone to a good home.
Winter, time for the Chanel scarf to have an outing; have to see those French lovelies
for advice on 'how to tie'.
Might need a scarf ring?


Here's Coco's nod to two of my favourite things.
Glitter + you know the rest.
Here's my own nod, bargain basement thrift, green and glittered, but nonetheless, convincing.
Swings and roundabouts.
Here's Kelly Jo Benjamin's hand-made glittered nod to the two Cs.
And on a more sobering note, Elizabeth L. Cline's book, Over-dressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion.
I heard about if from that lovely blog, Splenderosa and its writer, Martha.
I've recommended it to the workers to read for our next textiles unit, Make Do and Mend.
 It's all about changing repurposing to necessity and not just philosophy.
Luckily, I've been a good example, the only trouble is in lieu of inexpensive fashion frippery,
I've hit the big end of town twice instead.
Chanel 50% reduced + the Goot's digital mastery.
Our boy from Sydney, Australia.
Not planning retirement, any-time-soon.
I'm just about to email one of the workers some support material to help him write his paper.
He's in Hong Kong on term break.
I like the diligence exhibited.
Luckily, I know better than to ask him to buy me a fake Chanel handbag.
Those days are o-v-e-r.
Take me away to the Camellia Society, Flora's next Hat Salon.

No comments:

Post a Comment