Sunday 3 June 2012

Gainfully Employed: Hidden Treasures

Thanks to Josh Goot's loveliness and his digital print mastery, the House of Flora now has an official uniform.
 I am not unhappy with it, either. However, there was disappointment all around, when the frock arrived.
Just a tad too tight. I should have known after typing, 'What's Josh Goot's sizing like?' into the 'net and reading
the dire warnings on Vogue Australia's forum. On the small size.
Consequently, I have slightly edited the Goot. Luckily for me, the operation was a success.
Never before has my hand been so nervous when on the end of a quick-un-pic.
The Goot and I then attended the Embroiderers' Guild Show, today, 2 June.
The treasures of the Guild are certainly gainfully employed this next week, and so have its members been.
Here's a coordinating red glitter rose, inspired from Queensland Ballet's Alice in Wonderland, it works well with uniform.

Hidden Treasures: Red, Red, Red and Embroidered Treasures (Members' Exhibition), is on between the 2 -9 June.
At the Guild.
Here's the Show's catalogue.
I love this Goldwork embroidery crown!

Makes me think of Jenny Adin-Christies' amazing treasures.
Not to mention the Queen, who's wildly partying, as we speak.
Everything was its usual loveliness, with full-attention-to- detail,
Flowers by the Bay did this lovely Flora arrangement.
Upstairs at the Guild, was part of the Joan Selnes Collection, an astonishing array of textile heirlooms and
highly significant cultural artifacts.
The pieces are from all-over-the-world and date back to the 17th century.
Heather Grant had this to say about the collection in 2010.
The Guild Collection  numbers more than 2500 items. It chronicles some of the world's best needlework techniques from Russia, Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, England, Asia and the Balkans, as well as documenting Australian trends and practices.
The State Library of Australia recognises the collection as one of national significance.

I was thrilled to get to see the Hungarian Apron embroidery in real-life.





I must confess, I was particularly taken by these 1920s circa aprons!
The apron on the left, excellent for greeting with the pipe and slippers, and the right-side's image is just so incongruous with the work undertaken when 'apronned'.
Funny. And so much attention to detail, and such a large scale!
It's a wonder whomever made them had any time for housework, indeed!
I suppose wearing this would 'buoy' your mood, when doing the chores.

Here's a look at the Guild Members Embroidered Treasures.
Here's Chris Evans' gorgeous hand woven scarf (she described the weave as a kind of crepe like effect), she had no idea she'd win a prize, and travelled quite a way to get to the Show. It was nice to meet her.
It's pure wool.


I really like Jenny Jorgensen's The Clifton Suspension Bridge above the Avon Gorge at Bristol, because it reminds
me of drawing. It's straight stitch in two shades to make hatch marks.

This is Deborah Love's work. Deborah is the Head of Tutors at the Guild.
I love the tassel arrangement, too.
Here's her Deerfield cushion.

I absolutely adore this work by Jenny Jorgensen. So striking, her own design!


I got to meet lovely Fran Robinson, what a treasure she is.
Fran's inspired piece comes from Dorethea Mackellar's poem, My Country.
Fran was insitu, and gainfully employed creating her piece, drawing ideas from the poem.
The colours reflect rain in the desert and in tropical climes.
Fran's an established artist in her own right. She's had many showings and is highly regarded in the textiles arena.
Fran's worked at a few chalkfaces, and it was a treat to hear her say how much she enjoyed
doing projects with the workers.
What lucky workers.
The piece is entitled, Western Light.
Below, is The Tree of Knowledge.
Fran told me she got up to Barcaldine, and was so impressed by the Tree of Knowledge*  monument,
she got going designing a piece, and came up with this.
I enjoy the fact that Fran's work is so thoughtful.
*The Tree of Knowledge was a tree in Barcaldine, Queensland, Australia, the understory of which was  regarded as the birthplace of the Australian Labor Party. A group of sheep farmers apparently had a protest underneath the
branches of the ghost gum, back in the day.
The the tree was actually poisoned in 2006!
It's now a monument.
This is Devi's work. You've seen her scrumptious looking cupcakes on an earlier post.
How creative is she?
She got the idea for this while she was in Sydney, visiting family.




I must also confess, I voted for this in the Peoples' Choice Award. I love it, it's Devi again, made from recycled papers, that had special meaning to her. It holds all the frippery needed for embroidery.
And from the Gift Shop, I got these lovelies.
Yes, one of Margaret's pure wool filled, button-hole stitched pin-cushions.

This guest pack of bullion rose washer and soap bag.
And this pure wool bunny.
Straight to Flora's gift drawer.
And for me, a copy of Mabel McAlister's book!
I'm going to get the chalkface's Library staff to accession it, so it is available to the workers.

Thank you, Guild.





1 comment: