Thursday 20 August 2015

Change: As Good as a Holiday

 
In case you were worried.
I am back.
And, thank you for asking.
I have been up to all sorts.
Sorry to go awol.
Not quite visiting the Queen in London, but
I had to take life by its horns and make a few changes.

I have re-booted my chalkface life.
Risen up against the tyranny of workload intensification
and found myself a lovely little alternative to my usual
schedule of relentless marking and maximum teaching load.
Life is good.
 I have time to notice the small things again.
That old adage is true; a change can be as good as a holiday.
There's a work-life balance now going on.
But, it did take some determination.
And careful planning.
I am still gainfully employed.
And loving what I do.
But have a bit more time for the important things.
Like cake-making.
Chocolate Mud.
Pear and Almond Tart.
Lime and syrup cake.

Time for pondering.
Blogging.
 Flower arranging.
The odd soiree.

Appreciating the little things.

Some feather flower-making.
Slowly fashioned.




 I've picked up a few more millinery techniques thanks to the Milliners' Convention
which was held in Brisbane this year.
I will show you more on that later.
I promise.
On a sad note.
 I am missing my little poodle companion terribly.
I can still imagine him walking around the House of Flora.
I keep googling unwanted poodles in my region.
This lovely portrait of Coco Chanel with hers by artist Marie Laurencin is one
of my favourites despite the melancholia.
 How's everything?
Making any changes?
Missing anyone?
 
 
 
 









 

8 comments:

  1. Well I missed you my dear Flora! I was worried for a while. And does one post a comment drawing attention to an absence which may be for all sorts of reasons...both good and interesting? Well one chose not to, but rather to give you another week of silence before gentle prodding commenced. But here you are, grand life changes and all, and as happy as Larry. I'm pleased to hear you've taken control of Flora and Co. I bet you won't look back. Must see you to gift little things. Lovely to see a cheerful post from you and the feather flower is very eye catching...Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi, lovely to read your comment! I am as happy as a clam! I would LOVE to see you! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am struggling to find balance, dear Flora. How did you negotiate it?
    Very happy to see you back xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily in Education it is pretty straight forward to find a position that suits your skill-set and constraints in a different workplace. At first I felt daunted but I am so glad I jumped off!!! :D
      Very settled now doing relief work for staff on Leave. I love the variation and freedom and have learnt a lot of new things . Happy to read your comment. Just watched Rachel Khoo in MEL must get down there again! Xx

      Delete
  4. Flora dear, on the subject of your darling poodle and the gap left in your life by his departure, have you tried Poodle Rescue?
    https://www.petrescue.com.au/groups/10265
    Maybe there's a special new someone there for you. Love Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG - it's such a relief to 'hear; your voice Mel.

    I know what certain life challenges can do to a lovely soul, and was worried that past events had taken their toll. (ooh - that rhymed)

    So glad that you have more happiness and TIME in your life.
    It's made me happy too.

    <3
    Pia

    ps
    Max says "Hi" as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were missed my dear, but I am glad you enjoyed yourself and did some things you wanted to do. The frippery is looking marvellous...I hope you have a super weekend Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your dear poodle. Take care.

    ReplyDelete